Hotels and Rental Cars in Chassell Michigan | MIHotels in Michigan
Tourist attractions in Chassell MI
Michigan Science Center
John Ball Zoo
Michigan State Capitol
Fish Ladder Sculpture
Anna Scripps Whitcomb Conservatory
Information for Chassell
In 1855, the land that protected what turned into to emerge as Chassell turned into received from the state of Michigan by means of the St. Mary's Canal and Land Company. In 1863, Francis Jacker constructed one of the first homes in the location, a log cabin close to the mouth of the Sturgeon River. In 1867, John Chassell (1814?1883) of New York, purchased farmland from the St. Mary's Canal and Land Company wherein the community is now placed. In 1865, Chassell turned into influential in raising the $a hundred and sixty,000 capital with which the First National Bank of Houghton was founded. Chassell served as the first Cashier of the financial institution. He changed into additionally a founding member of a main contributor to the Houghton County Historical Society and Mining Institute.
Chassell offered his land in 1881 to Orrin W. Robinson, supervisor of the Sturgeon River Lumber Company and later Lieutenant Governor of Michigan. Robinson lived in Chassell's domestic till later constructing a new one on the equal lot. The enterprise changed into set up in 1872 and owned large tracts of land inside the region and with mill operations in Hancock. The proprietors of that organization also organized the Sturgeon River Boom Company in 1875, which dug a canal to convey logs from the Sturgeon to Pike Bay. To accommodate expansion, the turbines and most important operations have been moved from Hancock to Chassell in 1887-88. By that time, the Duluth, South Shore and Atlantic Railway had prolonged a line to the vicinity with a stop at Chassell. The first publish workplace was installed there in February 1888.
On April 14, 1888, Chassell Township was prepared. The name became taken from the community, which were named in honor of John Chassell via Robinson. The place had at first been known sincerely as Pike's Bay and later as Robinson. However, there has been at that time another submit office with the name Robinson in Ottawa County, Michigan and postal rules did not allow two places of work with the same call inside the same country.