Hotels and Rental Cars in Easton Massachusetts | MAHotels in Massachusetts
Tourist attractions in Easton MA
Cape Cod National Seashore
Mayflower II and Plimoth Plantation
Faneuil Hall Marketplace
Shining Sea Bikeway
Information for Easton
History View from The Rockery showing Oakes Ames Memorial corridor (left), Ames Free Library (middle), and sixty six Main Street (proper)
Easton was first settled in 1694 and became officially incorporated in 1725.
In 1694, the first settler, Clement Briggs, established his home close to the Easton Green. In 1711, the Taunton North Purchase region have become Norton, and in 1713, the sixty-nine families settled in Easton and employed Elder William Pratt as their first minister. Prior to the settlers' establishment, the region changed into occupied by means of Native Americans as a looking area and a burial ground. During King Philip's War, Metacom, also referred to as King Philip, used a part of Easton as a headquarters for his troops. There changed into no felony parish in Easton until 1722, when the East Precinct of Norton became recognized. In 1725, the vicinity become integrated as the Town of Easton; it changed into so named as it became previously called the "East End" of the Taunton North Purchase and changed into shortened with the aid of pronunciation to Easton. During the Revolutionary War, General George Washington stayed at the Benjamin Williams Tavern on Bay Road, that is now the second one oldest current residence in Easton, whilst on his way to negotiate for cannonballs at the old Perry Foundry in Taunton.
In 1803, the Ames Shovel Works was established and have become nationally known as having provided the shovels which laid the Union Pacific Railroad and opened the west. In 1875, the shovel manufacturing of the Ames plant turned into worth $1.5 million. The most high-quality of the Ames family have been Oakes Ames, a key figure inside the Crédit Mobilier of America scandal, and Oliver Ames(R), governor of Massachusetts from 1887?1890.
The Ames circle of relatives formed the city's economic system, and became liable for the presence of some of landmark homes in the town designed by way of H. H. Richardson, originator of the Richardsonian Romanesque style and designer of Trinity Church in Boston.
Richardson buildings in Easton include:The Ames Free Library (metropolis library) Oakes Ames Memorial Hall The Old Colony Railroad Station (houses the Easton Historical Society) The Ames Gate Lodge (privately owned through the Ames family) The F. L. Ames Gardener's Cottage (privately owned via the Ames own family)
Though this school complex became not made by using Richardson himself, it turned into devoted to him and made in his style:H.H.Richardson/F.L.Olmsted Intermediate School
Although intended to be the city hall, the Oakes Ames Memorial Hall was in no way regularly occurring with the aid of the metropolis and by no means used for that reason.
In addition, there's a industrial constructing at sixty nine Main Street which designed and build within the nineteenth century through Richardson's workplace in a Richardsonian fashion. The Richardson buildings are all placed inside a compact place precise as the H. H. Richardson Historic District. The region also includes The Rockery, designed by Frederick Law Olmsted, who additionally landscaped grounds of Oakes Ames Memorial Hall and the Ames Free Library.
Within a few blocks of the H. H. Richardson Historic District is Unity Church, constructed by the Ames own family in 1875, and designed in the Gothic Revival Style by way of architect and writer John Ames Mitchell. It includes an ornate alrightfrieze including sculptures of twenty-two angels playing track, carved by using Johannes Kirchmayer (1860?1930), and exquisite stained-glass windows, "Angel of Help," and "Figure of Wisdom," each by John LaFarge (1835?1910). "Figure of Wisdom," finished in 1901, is the most important stained-glass work created with the aid of LaFarge.