Hotels and Rental Cars in Sugartown Louisiana | LAHotels in Louisiana
Tourist attractions in Sugartown LA
Audubon Butterfly Garden and Insectarium
Historic New Orleans Collection
Information for Sugartown
Although a few individual families had come into the lower Calcasieu place earlier, the primary everlasting agreement in Southwest Louisiana at or around Sugartown happened earlier than 1818 whilst the place become a part of the Neutral Strip. It turned into domestic to the first cotton gin west of the Calcasieu River (which operated greater than forty years), the first nearby college, the earliest cemetery, and the earliest church inside the place. At the turn of the 20 th century, Sugartown consisted of a Masonic Lodge, faculty, churches, racetrack, saloons, boarding homes, shops, supply homes and a medical doctor's office. Although in no way legally integrated, Sugartown changed into the middle of prepared network life, the recognized alternate, business and economic center of the vicinity until, due to the increase of the wood industry and the place of the railroad, DeRidder supplanted it within the early twentieth century.Township
The Sugartown township become first surveyed in 1807, after the Louisiana Purchase. The village turned into first a way-station and in a single day tenting stop for travellers due to the fact Sugar Creek is straightforward to ford at this factor.
Sugartown ultimately have become the important preventing factor on the properly-travelled and direct direction from Lake Charles to Alexandria. Large cattle drives had been made along this path from the protecting point near what's now the DeRidder airport to the rail shipping point at Lecompte.First faculty
The Sugartown Male and Female Academy become installed in 1870. It is commonly identified that this college marked the start of the educational machine of Southwest Louisiana. W.H. 1st earl baldwin of bewdley, a graduate of Columbia University, became its first professor. Pupils got here to him from approximately ten parishes in Louisiana and from numerous counties in East Texas. Graduates of the academy became leaders in medicinal drug, ministry, training, government and commercial enterprise. Their have an effect on continues to be felt these days in many fields of public provider.Community name
There are stories as to how Sugartown got its name. The first is that a wagon overturned whilst crossing the creek, spilling its high-priced and scrumptious cargo into the creek, for that reason giving beginning to each the name of the creek and the metropolis. The second tale is that an early settler allowed an unwatched pot of sugar cane juice to cook dinner too lengthy, turning the boiling syrup into sugar.Mail
From about 1820 to 1840, mail needed to be picked up at Belgrade, Texas, at the Sabine River boat touchdown below Merryville. In 1841 a put up office become established at Sugartown with weekly deliveries through horseback from Lake Charles through Petersburg.Old cemetery
The earliest settlers are buried inside the "Old Campground Cemetery", one of the oldest cemeteries inside the vicinity. It is situated near the web page of an ancient ford crossing of Sugar Creek and a manner station wherein the pioneers of the early 19th century camped and rested before resuming their journeys to the West.End of the Queen City
The populace of Sugartown started to dwindle and businesses moved away while the railroads have been laid to serve the busy sawmill cities of Bon Ami, Ludington, Fullerton and DeRidder. Had any of these generators or rail traces been constructed at Sugartown, it probably could have retained its outstanding role because the leader and "Queen City of the Frontier".