Hotels and Rental Cars in Hayes Louisiana | LAHotels in Louisiana
Tourist attractions in Hayes LA
Baton Rouge Zoo
Old State Capitol
Historic New Orleans Collection
Audubon Butterfly Garden and Insectarium
Information for Hayes
In the beginning, Hayes became called Dugas Pasture or "La Savanne des Dugas", named for a livestock grazer from Andrus Cove who determined this bountiful pasture land. Cattle might be stored here with out supervision due to the fact the place turned into bounded on the east by way of the Lacassine Bayou, at the north and west through swampland, and on the south with the aid of marsh. In 1832 Thomas Hayes moved into Dugas Pasture and have become the primary at the same time as settler there. He married Mary Ann Foreman of Andrus Cove, and that they settled close to the Lacassine Bayou.
The next settler changed into William Holland, born in Tennessee in 1809. Holland, pioneer and father of nine children, hooked up a college in what become now turning into known as Hayes (for Thomas Hayes, the first settler). Using a crew of oxen, he moved an vintage slave cabin onto his well, and he employed his buddy Tom Cannon as the teacher. The subsequent settler in Dugas Pasture changed into a widow with seven sons and one daughter. In 1854, Mrs. Bazeline Derouen of New Iberia bought a chunk of belongings from the U.S. Authorities, close to the Lorrain agreement. On her belongings, the primary Methodist church turned into hooked up in 1898. It become a easy, one-room structure with a small, foot-operated organ. The first pastor become the Rev. Robert P. Howell. Prior to that, as some distance back as 1835, Methodist circuit riders had come into the location on horseback and held conferences inside the Hayes and Holland houses. In 1905, after the railroad came to Hayes and the populace shifted, the Methodist congregation decided the vicinity changed into out of the way, so Bill Cox loaded the church constructing on a logging wagon and moved it to its gift site in Hayes.
Francois, Louis, and Eugene Lorrain came from France and settled in the Hayes area in 1860, in what become known as the Lorrain Settlement. The Lorrain Settlement had a brick mill, sugar mill, grits mill and sawmill which operated before steam boilers and used guys with cross-saws to paintings the mill. Louis Lorrain constructed a school in the settlement about 1860 and employed a trainer from France named Pierre Lenoir. The college became stored open by means of Paul Lorrain, who employed Marcelne Goodeaux as a trainer. She boarded with the circle of relatives. Other instructors had been Glady Kinsey and Miss Dicarlo. Then the faculty turned into moved to Hayes; early instructors there have been Helen Bienvieu, Veva Stribling (Thom), J.R. Logan, Irma Howarton and Misses Freeman, Landreneaux, and Roy. There changed into a publish workplace at Lorrain around 1880, with mail brought up the bayou by schooner. Mrs. Aueline Lorrain turned into the postmistress.
Another family moved into the Hayes region in 1885: Ophelien Primeaux, grandfather of Eloi Primeaux. In 1875, the primary Gibbs made his appearance. Mr. And Mrs. George Gibbs moved to Hayes from Lowry and opened a wellknown store, with living quarters upstairs. Kinney Gibbs changed into supervisor of the Island Plantation near Hayes which was owned by means of the Rice Plantation and Canal Company.
Others settling within the vicinity in the earliest days covered households named Brown, Atkinson, Moore, Mitchell, Duhon, Verrett, Lemelle, Andrus, and Trahan. They have been observed, after the flip of the century, with the aid of Gossett, Morgan, Gravelle, Carmouche, Fruge, Kent and Walker. Groups of northern farmers have been introduced down by way of J.B. Watkins' considerable marketing of the "Garden of Eden" in the Deep South.
This location remained remoted for many years. Midwives added maximum of the kids. A Cherokee "medication woman" used concoctions prepared from herbs and plants to deal with everything from snake bites to toothaches. The first physician, Leroy Lambert, did no longer come till 1916.
The Louisiana Western Railroad, via Lake Charles, Holmwood, Bell City, Hayes, and Lake Arthur, became completed in 1904. Overnight, Hayes became a thriving little network. Toliver Hayes, son of the unique settler, sold the rights-of-way and a depot website online to the Railroad Company and forty acres (16