Hotels and Rental Cars in Hammond Louisiana | LAHotels in Louisiana
Tourist attractions in Hammond LA
Baton Rouge Zoo
Canyon Ranch Spa
LSU Tiger Stadium
National WWII Museum
Old State Capitol
Information for Hammond
History nineteenth century
The town is named for Peter Hammond (1798?1870), the surname anglicized from Peter av Hammerdal (Peter of Hammerdal) ? a Swedish immigrant who first settled the vicinity around 1818. Peter, a sailor, were in brief imprisoned via the British at Dartmoor Prison at some stage in the Napoleonic Wars. He escaped throughout a prison riot, made his way again to sea, and afterward arrived in New Orleans. Hammond used his savings to shop for then-inexpensive land northwest of Lake Pontchartrain. There, he started a plantation to domesticate bushes, which he made into masts, charcoal, and different products for the maritime industry in New Orleans. He transported the goods by way of oxcart to the top of navigation at the Natalbany River at Springfield. He owned as a minimum 30 slaves earlier than the Civil War. Peter Hammond lost his wealth at some stage in the struggle, as Union soldiers raided his property.
In 1854, the New Orleans, Jackson and Great Northern Railroad (later the Illinois Central Railroad, now Canadian National Railway) came thru the vicinity, launching the town's emergence as a commercial and delivery middle. The factor wherein the railroad met the trail to Springfield became at the beginning called Hammond's Crossing. Peter Hammond's grave is close to the center of city underneath the Hammond Oak, along side the graves of his wife Caroline Hammond (née Tucker), three in their children, and a fave slave boy. The Hammond Oak is a member tree of the Live Oak Society.
During the Civil War, the metropolis turned into a shoe-making center for the Confederate States Army. The shoe-making enterprise turned into the paintings of Charles Emery Cate, who bought land inside the town in 1860 for a domestic, a shoe manufacturing facility, a tannery, and a sawmill. Toward the give up of the conflict, Cate laid out the city's grid, the use of the rail line as a guide and naming numerous of the streets after his sons. Also, Cate Street is called for him.
After the Civil War, mild enterprise and business activities have been drawn to the city. By the quit of the 19th century, Hammond had emerge as a preventing point for northern rail passengers traveling south and for New Orleanians heading north to get away summer yellow fever outbreaks. The town later have become a delivery point for strawberries, so a plaque downtown gave it the title of "Strawberry Capital of America".20th and twenty first centuries
In the Twenties, David William Thomas edited a weekly newspaper in Hammond prior to transferring to Minden, the seat of Webster Parish. There, he was elected mayor in 1936. In 1932, Hodding Carter founded the now-defunct Hammond Daily Courier, which he left in 1939 to move to Greenville, Mississippi, later receiving a Pulitzer Prize for his reporting at the Civil Rights Movement. Since 1959, The Daily Star has been Hammond's locally published each day newspaper.
During World War II, the Hammond Airport (now Hammond Northshore Regional Airport) served as a detention camp for prisoners of battle from Nazi Germany. Additionally, the U.S. Army hooked up and used the 15,216-acre (sixty one.58